Re: libasound-sndio

From: Alexandre Ratchov <alex_at_caoua.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 18:31:32 +0100
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 04:01:26PM +0200, Jari Vetoniemi wrote:
> Correction to my last message. It's in NONBLOCK mode. I didn't check the
> sio_open argument.
>
> >Typically if the server can't accept more data immediately; in this
> >case, later, sio_revents() will return POLLOUT to indicate that
> >sio_write() can accept data again.
>
> Does this mean, I have to provide pollfds for sndiod to let it know
> when it can accept data? The PCSX2 for example, uses NONBLOCK mode as
> well, but it seems to work fine, even without implementing such event
> handling.

Non-blocking operation requires poll() & friends; no program can work
without it; if it does it's probably by accident.

First, how would a program know when to call sio_write()? if
sio_write() is called too late, playback will underrun. If it's called
in a loop, the process will consume 100% CPU; on most systems, the
process will have its scheduling priority decreased and audio may
start stuttering.

Second, and most importantly, libsndio needs to manage its own state;
sio_revents() is the place where it receives messages from the server
and processes them. For instance, if sio_revents() is not called, the
client wouldn't be notified that playback started and won't send data
to the server. I bet this is what happens.